- The Prize will be awarded for a book (not magazine articles or any other kinds of published materials).
- Books of any type are eligible: novels, children’s books, collections of short stories, poetry or essays, creative non-fiction, memoir.
- The book must be published in 2014.
- The book must deal with northern themes and settings.
- Books by the following are eligible: Authors who live in the NWT and have lived in the NWT for one year prior to the end of the year when the book is published; Authors who live in other parts of Canada but were raised and/or schooled in the NWT and maintain strong ties to the NWT and/or have lived in the NWT for a period of at least five years.
- The winning book will be presented with a plaque and $1000 at the annual NorthWords Writers Festival in June.
- Books that have multiple authors are eligible but the prize will be $1000, regardless of the number of authors.
- Books will be judged by an independent panel of judges.
- To submit, please send two copies of your book to the following address before February 28, 2015: NorthWords Prize, c/o NorthWords NWT, Box 1256, Yellowknife, NT X1A 2N9
*Please note that the NorthWords Writers Festival reserves the right to consider books that have not been submitted by their authors/publishers. It is, however, in the interests of authors/publishers to submit their books as we may not hear about them otherwise. The NorthWords Prize is sponsored by De Beers Canada.
2010: “Myth of Barrens” by Bren Kolson
2011: “The Caribou Feed Our Soul” by Pete Enzoe and Mindy Willett
2012: “Body Trade” by Margaret Macpherson
2013: “NIGHTHAWK!” by Jamie Bastedo
2014: “One of the Most Busiest Ports in the North” by Sandra Dolan