CONTEST CLOSED FOR 2015. WINNER TO BE ANNOUNCED AS PART OF THE 10TH ANNIVERSARY NORTHWORDS FESTIVAL.
LET’S CELEBRATE NORTHERN WRITING!
- The Prize will be awarded for a book (not magazine articles or any other kinds of published materials).
- Books of any type are eligible: novels, children’s books, collections of short stories, poetry or essays, creative non-fiction, memoir.
- The book must be published in 2014.
- The book must deal with northern themes and settings.
- Books by the following are eligible: Authors who live in the NWT and have lived in the NWT for one year prior to the end of the year when the book is published; Authors who live in other parts of Canada but were raised and/or schooled in the NWT and maintain strong ties to the NWT.
- The winning book will be presented with a plaque and $1000 at the annual NorthWords Writers Festival in May.
- Books that have multiple authors are eligible but the prize will be $1000, regardless of the number of authors.
- Books will be judged by an independent panel of judges.
- To submit, please send two copies of your book to the following address before February 28, 2015: NorthWords Prize, c/o NorthWords NWT, Box 1256, Yellowknife, NT X1A 2N9
*Please note that the NorthWords Writers Festival reserves the right to consider books that have not been submitted by their authors/publishers. It is, however, in the interests of authors/publishers to submit their books as we may not hear about them otherwise.
The NorthWords Prize is sponsored by De Beers Canada.
- Myth of the Barrens by Bren Kolson (2010)
- The Caribou Feed Our Soul by Pete Enzoe and Mindy Willett (2011)
- Body Trade by Margaret Macpherson (2012)
- NIGHTHAWK! by Jamie Bastedo (2013)
- One of the most busiest ports in the North by Sandra Dolan (2014)