NorthWords One-on-One Online Mentorship Program will give writers, at any stage of their careers, an opportunity to connect with a professional author to get their writing/publishing related questions answered or to get feedback on their work.
The program will run from November 4, 2013 to March 31, 2014.
There are two types of Mentorships Available:
1. Talk to an Author
Participants can book an hour of email time with one of five professional mentors to discuss anything about writing, publishing, self-publishing, agents, the writing process, ideas for articles etc.
Mentors will not read you work in this type of Mentorship.
2. Get Feedback on Your Work
Participants can submit a piece of prose of a maximum of 5,000 words or five double-spaced pages of poetry. The mentor will read your work and then spend one hour of email time with you to talk about how it can be improved.
*In order to give as many people as possible a chance to participate, appointments are restricted to one appointment under each program per participant.
We have five Mentors, all of whom are professional published authors. Please follow the links and read their biographies to determine which Mentor best suits your interests.
Mentorships will be $20 for each one-hour appointment.
Fees may be paid as follows:
- Email money transfer to email@example.com
- Phone or visit the Yellowknife Book Cellar and paying by credit card (920-2220 or TOLL-FREE at 1-800-944-6029).
- Write a cheque and mail it to: NorthWords Writers Festival Society, Box 1256, Yellowknife, NT X1A 2N9
**Please note that NorthWords NWT does not issue refunds.
- Mentorships will take place by email so participants will need to have access to a computer and an email address.
- Participants must live in the NWT or be NWT students attending educational institutions in southern Canada
How to Apply
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Your name.
- Your address (if your address is not in the NWT, please indicate which educational institution you are attending).
- The program you wish to sign up for.
- Your preferred mentor and one alternate mentor. (Please note that mentors are booked on an availability basis so NorthWords may suggest alternate mentors if your preferred mentors are not available.)
- How you would like to pay your fee (Please note that mentorships won’t start until fee is received).
**The number of mentorships is limited due to funding restrictions. Mentorships will be booked on a first-come first-served basis.