For many years, we’d dreamed about publishing NWT writers in an Anthology but couldn’t see how we could finance it. Then Our Premier Sponsor De Beers Canada got caught up in the dream and agreed to support an Anthology with a contribution of $20,000. NorthWords subsequently came to an agreement with Great Plains Publications in Winnipeg to publish our Anthology under their Enfield and Wizenty imprint.
The call for submissions went out in June, 2011 and by the time the submission period closed on November 30, 2011, we had received 94 submissions from 54 authors. We turned the submissions over to our two judges: John Mutford, author of the well-known northern book blog The Book Mine Set and Judy McLinton, NorthWords board member and a former editor and journalist. They read them without knowing the identity of the authors and seventeen stories were selected. The authors range from established northern writers to emerging writers and eight of them will be publishing for the first time.
The anthology, entitled Coming Home: Stories from the Northwest Territories, is expected to be launched in fall, 2012. Books will be on sale in time for Christmas. The cover image is by the talented Yellowknife photographer Dave Brosha.
A great big thank you to De Beers Canada for making it all happen!
The stories and authors are (click on the name for the author’s bio):
- My Epiphany by Rebecca Aylward
- Coming Home by Jordan Carpenter
- Children of the Strike by Jamesie Fournier
- For us by January Go
- Jailbird by Patti-Kay Hamilton
- The Points by Colin Henderson
- Angatkuq by Marcus Jackson
- Haunted Hill Mine by Cathy Jewison
- Lost by AmberLee Kolson
- Homecoming by Cara Loverock
- Where They Belong by Jessie MacKenzie
- The Long Gun by Shawn McCann
- Beauty of the Butte by Karen McColl
- Ts’sankui Theda, The Kindness of the Lake by Brian Penney
- Celia’s Inner Anorexic by Annelies Pool
- Dirty Rascal by Christine Raves
- Born a Girl by Richard Van Camp